Return CGI Library
Return CGI-Wrap Documentation Contents
CGIWrap - Installation Instructions
- Look at the notes to see if there are any hints for your platform.
- Type "./Configure" and answer the questions.
- Type "make"
- Copy cgiwrap executable to your servers cgi-bin directory
- Make cgiwrap owned by root, executable by all, and setuid.
(Note: This step must be performed while logged in as "root")
- chown root cgiwrap
- chmod 4755 cgiwrap
- Hardlink or symlink nph-cgiwrap, nph-cgiwrapd, cgiwrapd to cgiwrap in the cgi-bin directory.
- ln [-s] cgiwrap cgiwrapd
- ln [-s] cgiwrap nph-cgiwrap
- ln [-s] cgiwrap nph-cgiwrapd
- You can, if you wish, install it with less permissive permissions. (Eg. 4750) But if you do this, make sure that the group of
cgiwrap is the same as the group that the server runs as.
Password Protected Installation
The following are pecial additional instructions for installing a copy of
cgiwrap that allows users to create access controlled scripts. For this to
work, you will need to have a single common password file that will be
used by all authenticated scripts.
Re run configure, specify "public_html/auth-cgi-bin" instead of
"public_html/cgi-bin" for the cgi directory.
Create a new server cgi-bin directory called "auth-cgi-bin", and
install this new copy of cgiwrap into that directory the same way you installed
it into the cgi-bin directory. (4 copies, and set permissions). You will
now be able to use the url: http://server/auth-cgi-bin/cgiwrap...
To enable access control, place a .htaccess or equivalent file in
the auth-cgi-bin directory where cgiwrap is located, that requires
authentication to get at any file in that directory, but will allow any
valid user to get through.
Now, your users can simply check: 1. That their script was
executed by them (eg. check the real uid of the script to make sure someone else
wasn't running it by hand) 2. That the REMOTE_USER environment variable
contains a user name that they want to allow to access the script.
If you enabled the access file checking, you need to make sure and create
the necessary files.
If you enabled the user directory rewriting feature, you need to create
the configuration file that you specified in the Configure run.